Recipe for Asazuke – Japanese pickles in short preparation time
This is the easiest Japanese pickles recipe!
We have a lot of different kinds of pickles in Japan. Some of them take longer than a year to make. You only need one day and you don’t need a special tool or machine to make Asazuke. So it is a nice recipe for you to try.
Why I prefer Asazuke?
It’s very easy to make and you can eat a lot of vegetables by Asazuke. So I prefer this food. It has a simple taste which becomes great in combination with other Japanese cuisines.
- Hakusai (Chinese cabbage): 1 whole
- Salt: 2.5% of Hakusai weight
- Water: 100ml
- Konbu (dry kelp): 20g
- Dry red pepper : 5g
- Cut the Hakusai in 4 pieces and wash well by water.
- Dry the Hakusai under the sun more than half a day. This makes the vegetable sweeter.
- Knead salt into the Hakusai and put it in to a ziplock.
- Put in water, Konbu and dry red pepper in to the ziplock
- Put a heavy weight on the ziplock and wait for 3 hours.
- Put the ziplock into a fridge and wait more than half a day.
How to eat
You cut it in small pieces and then it’s ready to be eaten. You can put on sesame seeds and soy sauce, if you like. This is very simple cooking, so please try it!